Swiss Cheese Plant

Category
Indoor Plants
Health Rating
Poisonous
Latin Name
Monstera deliciosa

Description

A large plant that can grow to be 30 feet with large leaves that are heart shaped with slits or holes in them. The fruits of the plant are close to a foot long. They are green and have hexagonal scales as a skin.

For Your Pet

Although many people have these as indoor plants, the Swiss Cheese Plant (also known as Monstera or Ceriman) is mildly toxic to humans, cats, dogs, rabbits, and other small pets. If ingested, symptoms include drooling, difficulty swallowing, pain in the mouth, tongue, and lips, and swelling. Rabbits are known to actively seek out Monstera plants and will try to eat it. Keep away from small pets.

Warning

Swiss cheese plants are toxic to rabbits and other small pets. Do not feed your pets any part of the swiss cheese plant.

Resources

If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.

Comments