String of Pearls

Category
Indoor Plants
Health Rating
Poisonous
Latin Name
Senecio rowleyanus

Description

The string of pearls plant is a creeping succulent vine in the daisy family native to southwest Africa. This plant avoids sunlight by growing in shady spots and under other plants or rocks. String of pearls have small balls of leaves trailing down the vine, ranging in shades of green, and has trumpet shaped flowers that bloom in summer.

For Your Pet

String of pearls are toxic to cats, dogs, humans, and small pets including rabbits, chinchillas, and guinea pigs. If ingested, you may experience diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, and lethargy. Coming into contact with the sap of the string of pearls, skin irritation and rash may occur.

Warning

Do not feed your pet string of pearls as it can cause serious illness and injury.

Resources

If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.

Comments