Ragwort Photo
Health Rating
Latin Name
Jacobaea vulgaris


Ragwort, also known as stinking willie and benweed, is native to Eurasia however has been widely spread as a weed in other parts of the world. Although it is a great source of nectar for bees, butterflies, and more, it is an unwanted plant to have an it toxic to many animals including small pets, cattle, and horses. The leaves are pinnately shaped and have an unpleasant scent, and the flowers are clusters of small, bright yellow florets, vaguely similar looking to yellow daisies. These plants can be anywhere from one foot to almost seven feet tall.

For Your Pet

Ragwort contains several different alkaloids and, if ingested, can cause liver disease and death. Although ragwort has an extremely bitter taste, it is imperative to keep your pet away from ragwort so they do not get poisoned.


Do not feed your pet ragwort as it can cause serious illness and possible death.


If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.