Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Photo
Outdoor Plants
Health Rating
Latin Name
Toxicodendron radicans / Toxicodendron rydbergii


Poison ivy is well known for its ability to give skin irritation, swelling, and itching due to the urushiol in its sap. Despite its name, poison ivy is actually not true ivy but a member of the cashew family. The plant is variable in looks but will always have three leaves. They can be tear drop shaped, with or without serrated edges, and green or red. “Leaves of three, let it be”

For Your Pet

Although rabbits and other small pets tend to stay away from poison ivy, if ingested it can cause pain and swelling of the mouth and throat, choking, and skin irritation.


Do not feed your pets poison ivy as it can cause illness and injury.


If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.