Peyote is a small, spineless cactus native to Mexico and southern Texas. It’s known for its psychoactive properties containing mescaline and is used for medicinal, ritualistic, and cultural reasons. They are circular in shape and often grow in clusters.
For Your Pet
There is no strong evidence short-term peyote exposure is dangerous to humans, however this is not the case with some animals including rabbits, guinea pigs, and more. Psychoactive or hallucinogens can harm small pets because they can cause changes in heart rate and body heat, disorientation, anxiety, and ataxia.
Do not feed your pet peyote as it can cause serious illness or injury.
If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.