Oleander Photo
Health Rating
Latin Name
Nerium oleander


Oleander is a shrub or small tree used as an ornamental plant or landscaping plant. You can find oleander as dividers on roads and highways, properties, and more. The oleander leaves are thick, dark green, and leathery, while the flowers vary in color from pink to white, orange, and more. Oleanders are often grown to be very tall.

For Your Pet

Oleander contains oleandrin, oleandrgenin, and cardiac glycosides, which makes this a poisonous plant. Although oleander is very bitter and most humans and animals are turned away by it, there have been records where oleander poisoning is deadly due to ingestion. Most animals other than some birds and rodents are sensitive to this and can become seriously ill. Symptoms may include seizures, bloody diarrhea, irregular heart rate, irregular blood pressure, tremors, coma, and death.


Do not feed your pet oleander as it can cause serious illness and possible death.


If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.