Mountain Laurel

Mountain Laurel Photo
Health Rating
Latin Name
Kalmia latifolia


Also known as spoonwood or calico-bush, mountain laurel is an evergreen shrub native to the eastern US. This plant contains clusters of hexagonal pink and white flowers, broad leaves, and fibrous roots. All parts of this plant, beautiful as it may be, are poisonous.

For Your Pet

All parts of mountain laurel are poisonous to humans and many animals including cattle, horses, swine, deer, monkeys, and small pets due to containing lethal neurotoxins. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, cardiac arrest, vomiting or choking, gastrointestinal hemorrhaging, paralysis, diarrhea, coma, and death.


Do not feed your pet mountain laurel as it can cause serious illness and probable death.


If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.