Locoweed is a name in any plants that contain swainsonine. Swainsonine is a phytotoxin harmful mostly to livestock although other animals can become ill after ingesting. Oxytropis and Astragalus are found in North America and Swainsona in Australia, all containing the phytotoxin.
For Your Pet
Locoweed is extremely toxic to animals. Primarily livestock have been found to “go crazy” after ingesting locoweed although most animals that eat this will become sick. Because rabbits and other animals are so small, ingesting locoweed can be fatal.
Do not feed your pet locoweed as it can cause serious illness and probable death.
If you believe that your pet has been poisoned immediately call your vet or one of the animal poison control hotlines on this list.